Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A hyperbolic generation?

I was thinking today about how we used to have to jog in gym class all through elementary, middle, and high school. Jogging was so universal. Every gym teacher I ever had made students jog. Even some college fitness professors asked students to jog.

But then I got to thinking about all of the people I know who jog. Except, I realized, no one my age calls it jogging anymore. People don't jog to work out, they run. Everyone's a runner now. No one I know jogs anymore.

Now, in my mind, running is a degree above jogging. Jogging is perhaps more leisurely, or at any rate less purposely strenuous than running. I may just be uninformed of the actual nuanced differences between jogging and running, but the seeming preference of young people to saying "run" over "jog" got me wondering if perhaps young people tend to overstate things these days.

Consider the following examples as well. When young people drink a lot and fall asleep, they say they passed out. Isn't "passed out" meant to mean "unconscious"? Surely many of the young people who proclaim to have passed out actual just fell asleep.

Along the same line, when young people get physical with one another, they call it "hooking up." Maybe this particular term is less degreed than a catch-all: hooking up can mean pretty much any sort of sexual activity. But, again, surely not all of the young people who have hooked up have all engaged in the same sexual act. The terminology suggests everything, when everything very well may not be the reality.

Any thoughts on whether we're a generation of serial exaggerators? I'd love to hear thoughts and other possible examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment