Tuesday, November 15, 2011

New meal: Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter over Pasta

I read a lot of food blogs. My favorites are still the same ones I fell in love with while working on my food thesis in college; time may pass, but those blogs still offer consistently great suggestions. I shouldn't be surprised, then, that a recipe found on not one but two of my favorite blogs turned out to be absolutely stupendous.

I know that the whole Italian argument is that "it's not about the sauce, it's about the pasta," but sometimes a really great sauce is just wonderful. Cue Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter, a simple concoction that tastes so much more complex than its component parts would suggest. All you need is a can of plum tomatoes, some butter, a peeled-and-halved onion, and some salt, and about 45 minutes later you've got the most perfect simple tomato sauce. I've been eating it over Trader Joe's pesto tortellini, and I am confident that it would be just as wonderful over plain pasta. I can say with confidence that I will be testing that statement in the near future--this sauce is that simple and that rewarding to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment