The concert ended up being fantastic! They Might Be Giants is definitely a nerdy band, with songs like "I am a Paleontologist," "Meet the Elements," and a song about meteor/ites called "What is a Shooting Star?" As I remarked to my roommate last night, it's refreshing to know that a band can be fun and cool without having a myriad of tattoos, being incredibly profane, and packing heat.
Some highlights from the evening:
- the opening act, The Guggenheim Grotto (try their single "Waking Up in America"; it should totally be in a movie!)
- the woman in front of me in line to get into the club; she had on an acid-washed denim jacket with the old school Nickelodeon logo on the back
- the large proportion of concert-goers who were wearing glasses (this proportion far outstripped that in normal, everyday life)
- the large proportion of concert-going males who looked like Seth Rogan (again, much higher than in real life)
- the abundance of multi-colored confetti that was propelled from the stage
- the sock puppets
If you don't know much about They Might Be Giants, check them out. I'm glad I did!