Saturday, June 4, 2011

Books #27-29: The Hunger Games series

I had put off reading Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games trilogy for months. I have a friend's hardback copies sitting next to my desk in the same place I originally set them down sometime in March.

This past Wednesday, I started the first book in the series. I finished the last one less than an hour ago. That's less than four days, people. Four days in which I worked three shifts and drove from home to Bloomington, so my reading time was restricted. I was so captivated by the story, the characters, absolutely everything about the series that I had a very hard time putting it down in order to do normal thinks like shower and do laundry (but I did, don't worry). It's that good.

I don't want to tell you any more about the series because I don't want you to read my description and, thinking you won't like it, not read it. You can find plot synopses and teasers all over the internet. But the main fact is, you need to read these books.

One thing I will say: I was continually surprised and caught off guard by everything that happened in the books. Every time I thought I had figured out a character, a plot line, anything, Collins would take everything a mindblowing step further. As someone who reads a lot and can often spot endings from afar, that's a high compliment. Read The Hunger Games. Please!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you liked the series! It's sooo good. I reread the first one this weekend, and even though I knew everything that was going to happen, I still couldn't put it down. Collins does such a good job of writing about violence and revolution while still firmly making the viewpoint true to a teenager's voice. The characters are believable, the plot is perfectly crafted, and the central love story is only one part of a more complicated narrative. I think Hunger Games is a perfect antidote to the world of Twilight-ed YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete