Sunday, October 23, 2011

New meal: Braised French Onion Chicken

One of my favorite kitchen smells has got to be caramelizing onions. There's something so alchemical about tossing a ton of sharp, raw onions into a pan with a little bit of butter and ending up with savoury perfection. I'm a huge fan of anything that involves caramelized onions, really: burgers with caramelized onions on top, French onion soup, this delectable tart... Thus it should come as no surprise that, when I saw a recipe for braised French onion chicken, I would bookmark the recipe and plan to test it out once autumn set in.

I found the recipe for Braised French Onion Chicken with Gruyere on the kitchn, a blog that always has good ideas as far as cooking is concerned. While the recipe did take some time to make--it takes time to get the perfect coloring on your onions, you know--the end result was incredibly worth it. I like the combination of tasty chicken thighs with a hearty, savoury onion glaze and some broth in the bottom of the bowl. I used Emmental cheese instead of Gruyere, and the bit of nuttiness it added to the dish was perfection. I highly recommend taking advantage of autumn temperatures and warming up an afternoon or evening with this dish on your stove. I can't wait for the leftovers at lunch tomorrow.

1 comment: