Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not Liking Movies

After a five-star review from my mother and several other people whom I cannot recall at this particular moment, I watched 500 Days of Summer yesterday.

And I did not like it.

And then, because I felt bad for not liking a movie that had been so highly recommended to me, I tried to rationalize why I didn't like it. Here's the list I came up with:

1 - It bugged me that Zooey Deschanel's character, Summer, was always dressed in blue. Supposedly it was to bring out her eyes, but come on. She is so not Alice in Wonderland.
2 - Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, Tom, kind of bugged me, too. Come on, dude, get over it. Stop dwelling. Don't be so emo.
3 - I wanted to know more about Tom's friend Paul, whose screen time did nothing to flesh him out.
4 - Haha, Autumn. Get it? It's, like, ironic and stuff! Haha! No.
5 - Sometimes I like nonlinear storytelling. Sometimes I don't. This time I really didn't.

And then, because all of these things really did bug me about the movie, but because all of them combined don't really make me feel as though I've adequately described why I did not like the movie, I decided that maybe I don't have to describe it.

I decided I don't have to justify why I don't like a movie. Or a book. Or shrimp. Or anything else for that matter. Not liking something can be enough.

Maybe it's dumb, but it feels pretty liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment