Monday, January 10, 2011

Resolution Two: Do a better job of cooking meals.

Considering the fact that last semester I had to defer to the rather unimpressive library cafeteria or a spoonful of peanut butter to satisfy lunchtime/dinnertime hunger on more than just a few occasions, my second resolution of 2011 is definitely a needed one: to do a better job of planning ahead and cooking my meals.

I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy planning. It would seem to follow, then, that planning my meals for the week shouldn't really be a big deal for me. On a semi-regular basis, however, my Saturday morning meal planning backfires. That dish for Thursday dinner that sounded great on Saturday just doesn't appeal to me when Thursday actually arrives, for instance, or perhaps leftovers have gotten the best of me. It goes downhill from there.

I think part of my problem results from my previous commitment to doing my grocery shopping only on Saturdays. This year I'm going to try to be less averse to making more than one grocery shopping trip per week; maybe that will help assuage the mid-week shift in tastes? Hopefully.

Regardless, I intend to try a bunch of new recipes this year. I've already started making a list of some things that I want to try from my Indian cookbook, and goodness knows Nigella always has plenty of options for every palate. I'm only planning a few days ahead right now, though, so chicken tacos are currently the only food on my radar. As I try new dishes and, hopefully, like them, however, I'll report back. Hopefully you'll find a recipe or two to try this year, too!

The glory that is chicken tacos made in a slow cooker:
  • Put some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
  • Dump in some water or, for more flavor, chicken broth (you don't need to submerge the poultry, but don't be too skimpy, either), and add a packet of taco seasoning--whatever type your prefer.
  • Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 4.
  • Shred the chicken when it's done, then serve with all your favorite taco fixins'. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment