Friday, August 7, 2009

Jane Austen and a variety of dark creatures

I know it must be rather evident, based upon my musings on this site, that I love Jane Austen. All things, Jane Austen, really, excepting those that include shaggy-haired men where there should be clean-cut gentlemen and annoying ninnies with wavering tones where there should be ladies of firm voice and character. All things Jane Austen not excepting this year's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

That's right: there exists such a thing as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. And, while I was skeptical at first, I must say I am quite a fan of the book now. It really is incredibly nuanced and true to Austen's original characters. I must admit that one can learn a lot about one's favorite literary figures when the stakes of a familiar situation are changed ever so slightly.

Now, I am excited to realize, I can anticipate September 15, at which point another retelling of an Austen classic runs ashore in bookstores: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Really, it makes sense; Marianne always seemed to fancy herself something of a vixen mermaid. I cannot wait to see how this one plays out.

For now, the book trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment