Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Food Tuesday: On Roasted Potatoes

I haven't made anything spectacular for #foodtuesday this week. After getting rather preoccupied with a really wonderful book over the weekend, I put off going grocery shopping and thus haven't got much in my fridge or cupboard. What I did have, though, was potatoes.

When it comes down to it, I don't really eat potatoes all that often. A whole baked potato ends up being too much for the meals I make myself, and most real-recipe potato dishes make enough to feed at least four. As I am but one, potatoes aren't always practical.

This week, however, I decided to try roasting my potatoes on my new stoneware baking sheet. I cut my fingerling potatoes in half, spread them on the baking sheet, drizzled some olive oil over the top, and sprinkled some sea salt over it all. After merely 20, 25 minutes in a hot oven, the potatoes were starting to blister on the tops and crackle on the bottoms against the heat of the pan. After they had cooled just enough to be no longer dangerous, I started popping them into my mouth. And then I couldn't stop.

Something so simple: potatoes, olive oil, sea salt, heat, and time. Together they create something so comforting and warm, with so much flavor and texture it seems almost like alchemy. And that's why I decided just to talk about potatoes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment