Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Reads: Rereading The Hunger Games

This week I'm doing my first rereading in over a year. Can you believe I didn't reread a book in the whole of 2011? It was difficult, and I missed some of my favorites, but with some encouragement via Twitter I am opting not to skip out on the joys of rereading again this year.

That 2012 reading philosophy works out well, as the book club I recently joined in discussing Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games this week. I read the whole series in a whirlwind of excitement and job interviews last summer, and in order to be on my best book discussion game I knew I needed to reread. I'm already picking up on things I hadn't necessarily realized before. (Madge insists she take the pin; Cinna says he asked for District 12; was the whole thing planned from the get-go?!?) I'm enjoying the book just as much as I did previously, and I'm looking forward to both group discussion and the movie in March. Plus now it'll be fresh in my mind to discuss with my teen volunteers at the library!

Also this week: I tried to read Dreaming of Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly. I read about 30% before I just had to give up. My year of not rereading has taught me two things: 1) If you want to read something even remotely connected to Jane Austen, reread Jane Austen. 2) If you are an author of Austen "sequels," please stop pretending they are anything but romance novels. Just stop. (I know, I know, it's called Dreaming of Mr. Darcy--can I really be surprised at my reaction?)

No comments:

Post a Comment