Monday, June 22, 2009

Austen Hero Order of the Day

One might say it's a very good thing that I begin summer classes tomorrow. For the past week, aside from a few orientation and getting-oriented type activities on and around campus, I've mostly been reading and watching movies through Netflix. Not that that's a problem, per se; I saw a movie I haven't seen in a long time (Real Genius) and I've started reading a new series that should keep my dearth-of-book-idea days occupied for quite some time (the Stephanie Plum mysteries). Aside from those branchings-out, however, everything has pretty much been Jane Austen-related.

I told you about the 1940 version of P&P; since watching that I've also watched The Jane Austen Book Club, which I enjoyed, and I've also read this novel called What Would Jane Austen Do?

Which, it turns out, is a romance novel. A fact to which I would have caught on had I actually paid attention to the front cover image when I found out about it on Amazon.com. Alas, I was none the wiser as to its romance novel-ness until I was actually in Borders, whose computer said the book was in stock but whose literature shelves were surely missing it.

And that's how I read my first-ever romance novel. I have to say, mixing Jane Austen with the awkwardly-worded sex of a romance novel does not seem immediately intuitive. All worked out for general reader satisfaction and plot resolution, though, so really my only complaint would be how many times the author says "What would Jane Austen do?" Since that's the title of the book, however, I don't know that I can complain very much.

Keeping in mind only proper Austen heroes, however, I've decided that it might be fun to rank them in my current order of preference. [Just think of this listing as a last-night-before-homework sort of thing.]

With #1 being my current preference:
6. Mr. Edmund Bertram (Mansfield Park)
5. Mr. Edward Ferrars (Sense and Sensibility)
4. Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)
3. Mr. George Knightley (Emma)
2. Captain Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion)
1. Mr. Henry Tilney (Northanger Abbey)

Anyone else have an opinion??

No comments:

Post a Comment