For example, right now I am being recommended movies in the following categories:
- understated period pieces based on classic literature (e.g. Persuasion)
- movies starring Kate Winslet
- controversial movies based on real life (e.g. Inherit the Wind)
- quirky comedies featuring a strong female lead (e.g. Saved! and The First Wives Club)
- critically-acclaimed romantic independent movies (e.g. Mystic Pizza)
Now, I plan on becoming a librarian, AND I love organizing and categorizing things. But only in my wildest dreams would I have so successfully been so specific. Kudos, Netflix.
[I have now set a goal for myself of amassing lists of films I've seen, books I've read, and music I've listened to so that I, too, might give successful recommendations. Go ahead and ask for one, but I'm not making any promises. At least not until I've got some more library learnin' under my belt.]