Sunday, June 21, 2009

Midsummer's Day

Today is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere -- the summer solstice, the first day of summer. Looking out my living room window, it is still reasonably light outside, even at half-past 9 o'clock in the evening. The outside ambiance is rather beautiful: the trees are absolutely still, yet the clouds up in the sky are moving quickly. The contrast of the still, various greens against the quick shades of gray. It reminds me of summer evenings at camp. Indeed, I'm probably thinking on camp now because I know several people who are lucky enough to be at their respective camps right now. I haven't been back in quite some time, but sometimes I'll walk outside and it will feel like a particular time at camp: a damp morning makes me think of walking from Sharples to First Word; bright heat in the afternoon reminds me of the heavy humidity that always seemed to blanket the grounds during free time. Summer weather always takes me back there.

Midsummer's Day, however, more recently makes me think of a book I'd like to recommend. The holiday features in it somewhat substantially. I actually read it the first time in Scotland during the spring of 2008, when I was studying there. I reread it just a few weeks ago, and it was just as lovely a book this time around.

It's an enjoyable film as well, but I definitely suggest reading the book first. If you're looking for good reading, try I Capture the Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment